Mismatch: A figure custom inspired by Transformers Universe: Part 2

I should really get around to reading MTMTE...

This is the image result I got from Googling “Transformers Robot Education”.
…I should really get around to reading MTMTE…

So, I posted a while back that I’d be working on a modded toy to represent Mismatch from Transformers Universe. Having 3d-printed the parts, built the rollcage from plastic rods, and removed some no-longer-necessary Bumblebee parts, I’m beginning to see some results. All that really needs to be done is to paint it all and put it together. The process has been educational.

I’ve learned quite a lot about the craft of toy customisation, (mostly about paint, to be honest) which I’m going to share alongside sharing the photos of the work in progress.

Firstly, I’ve learnt why miniature-painting acrylics paints (from companies like Games Workshop) are so much more expensive than craft acrylics from the art shops. The former are mixed with a medium designed to stick to a primed metal or plastic surface. The latter assume that users will paint them onto paper or mix them with some sort of medium (or both those things, usually with the mixing first, obviously). Of course, this means that for my purposes, the former are vastly superior to the latter. Once the toy has been washed in hot water with dishwashing detergent, any mold-release agent or other oils has been removed from the surface. The miniature paint goes on nicely, whilst the craft paint looks terrible, even after a couple of coats. it’s incredibly easy to peel off the craft paint in handling, and it just forms a skin, rather than sticking to the plastic surface.

A leg. Wheels removed for easy painting.

A leg. Wheels removed for easy painting.
The lime green paint always dries patchy over the yellow plastic, and flakes off really easily.

I’m not sure how obvious it is from the photo, but that green surface looks terrible, whilst the black surfaces (more expensive GW paint) are covering fine.

On a brighter note, my Rotaron saws look like this:

The Saw is the Law!

A pair of Rotaron Saws, sat on an old copy of Private Eye whilst the paint dries.

These were not without a few hiccups: the peg to attach them to Mismatch’s arm was way too long, and had to be trimmed down, which was surprising difficult to do without damaging the outer surfaces. Once in place, these box his forearms in entirely, and can be unpegged easily – which means they can be removed for transformation. I could have made this project a lot easier if I hadn’t been insistent that Mismatch still be able to transform, but where’s the fun in that?

The Rotaron Saws mounted on a headless Mismatch.

The Rotaron Saws mounted on a headless Mismatch. A couple of other unfinished projects are waiting in the background.

The saws look pretty good mounted on Mismatch (if I do say so myself); the back halves box his forearms in completely, and the bladed extensions are long and threatening. The next step fro his body is to prime it with GW Imperial Primer, for which purpose I’m going to pull off each of the limbs at the ball-joints, for easy access. (I’ve done this before, and they go back into place fine, so that’s a nice simple process.)

You may be wondering what I’m going to do about the headlessness, so I’ll show you:

Clockwise from left: 3d-printed Mismatch head from the front; same thing from the side, Concept art from TFU.

Clockwise from left: 3d-printed Mismatch head from the front; same thing from the side, Concept art from TFU.

As you can see, the head has come out nicely. He just needs his eyes dotting in in red, and his purple armour and silver cheeks and face painting on. The proportions of the 3d-printed head don’t quite match the videogame, which is because I wanted the head to fit in the slot provided for it by Bumblebee’s transformation. This makes is slightly taller and less wide than the original, but I don’t think that the look suffers for it.


Anyway, that’s my most recent update on Mismatch. It’ll be a little while before I get to finish him, since R’s Slipstream cosplay is at a critical stage wherein she’ll need my help, but in a couple of weeks I should be able to paint him up and post images. Thanks for reading.

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “Mismatch: A figure custom inspired by Transformers Universe: Part 2

  1. I’ve –never– looked into toy customisation before! This is seriously cool to see! 🙂 It looks good, too. I’m especially digging the Rotaron!

    Great job!

    Like

    • There’s loads of customizers in the Transformers fandom – partially because there’re a lot of comic-only and video-game-only characters, and partially because there are several continuities, and lots of fans like to “port” their favourite characters from one continuity to another. I was very inspired by the customs galleries at TFW2005: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radicons-customs/
      Of course, since TFU is defunct, its unique characters are disappearing so this custom is a “rescue” of an otherwise vanished character.

      Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s