So, I’ve been on-and-off this project for ages, putting it on the back burner whenever anything urgent came up, but finally, it’s looking like we can call it finished:
OK, there have been a few changes since I last posted about Mismatch, firstly, I remade the head. My first attempt was too boxy, and the spikes and chin-pieces were too thick. I started again from almost from scratch — only keeping the neck and ball-joint — in order to make something that looked more screen-accurate.
Let’s get a close-up of the new face:
Since the last time that I posted about Mismatch I haven’t just resculpted the face. I’ve also painted Mismatch’s body which turned out to be a mammoth task. Firstly, he needed a thorough wash: mould-release agent that is left on the toy as a residue of the manufacturing process can mess up any attempts to paint him, then he needed priming (Citadel Imperial Primer), which took a while – the black and silver plastic took the primer well with only one coat, but the yellow plastic needed three coats. It was a real struggle to get the paint to stick. After he was primed, I painted his green and purple areas with Games Workshop paints. I’d recommend these over the Daler Rowney acrylics I’ve used previously — they do cost a lot more, and come in tiny pots, but they’re well worth it. I used Moot Green, Abbadon Black and Genestealer Purple for the car parts, and the exposed metal bits were Leadbelcher. The Green areas had a heavy wash of Athonian Camoshade ink, with a thinner wash of diluted Nuln Oil ink.
I didn’t want a clean paint finish for Mismatch, since he’s supposed to be a filthy scavenger, happily digging through refuse and waste for that which less ruthless bots leave behind, and tearing apart the carcasses of the dead for spare parts. A cannibalistic monster like that doesn’t waste time making himself look pretty. Actually, this was pretty fortunate, because with the problems I had priming the yellow plastic, I would never manage a clean finish anyway.
Tsche-Chu-Chu-Chu-Tsche: Time for Robot Mode
So, let’s look at robot mode.
The saws peg onto his forearms using the 5mm holes designed for Bumblebee’s blasters, encase most of his forearm and hand, and end in large spinning blades. In keeping with Mismatch’s in-game appearance, I’ve painted them to look filthy.
Here’s a close-up of one of those saws:
The saws aren’t perfect, and I might come back to them at some point in the future to improve them, but they evoke the in-game weapon really nicely, albeit in reduced detail.
Mismatch is looking great now, and I’m happy to display hi as-is, but he’s not perfect. At some point, I will probably add some gunmetal detailing to his shins, which are plain black, and I’ll probably re-do his saws. For now, though, he can stand among the other Prime Decepticons in the display cabinet, and look great whilst doing that.