So, I’ve been on-and-off this project for ages, putting it on the back burner whenever anything urgent came up, but finally, it’s looking like we can call it finished:
A long time ago, I posted about customising a toy into Mismatch, the cannibalistic Decepticon from defunct MMO Transformers Universe. I’d been too involved in other projects to make much progress, but recently I’ve been back to it. Here’s a fresh picture before I go into the final stages.
Actually, it’s been a bit of a struggle to get all of the yellow parts covered: Not all of them are easily accessed without extensive dismantling. Some customisers prefer to do this, and I’m beginning to see the wisdom in this method.
Another thing that became apparent when as I worked on this project was that I could have made a better choice of starting figure: there was a black re-deco of this mould released as “Night Shadow Bumblebee“. If I’d planned better from the start, I’d have picked up one of these along side the yellow mould that I did get, and used the grey parts from standard Bumblebee with the black parts from the Night Shadow version, I’d have only needed to paint the green bits. Still, this was my first heavy customisation project, so it has been educational.
Mismatch is well on his way to completion: I’ve just got to paint a few more areas, ink in a few details, push his new head into place and give him a faction symbol (sticker) a quick coat of lacquer. I’m hoping to finish him in a couple of weeks.
So, I posted a while back that I’d be working on a modded toy to represent Mismatch from Transformers Universe. Having 3d-printed the parts, built the rollcage from plastic rods, and removed some no-longer-necessary Bumblebee parts, I’m beginning to see some results. All that really needs to be done is to paint it all and put it together. The process has been educational.
I’ve learned quite a lot about the craft of toy customisation, (mostly about paint, to be honest) which I’m going to share alongside sharing the photos of the work in progress.
Transformers Universe is a recently-dead MOTA game that was created to be an MMO, underwent a number of changes of direction, and eventually fell apart, closing of January 31st this year.
As I said in a previous post, there was a lot wrong with TFU, there were, however, some positive things to come out of it during its brief lifespan. There were some really nice character designs like this robot-eating monster-bot, Mismatch.
Mismatch was one of my favourite characters in the game; I absolutely loved blasting bits off of my enemies’ bodies to devour, and shredding those foolish enough to get in close with my buzzsaw hands.
I couldn’t help but notice that the placement of his vehicle bits was very much in line with the toy Bumblebee from Transformers Prime, and a lot of the spikes lined up neatly with TFP Beast Hunters Bumblebee. I’ve never done a big project of this kind before, I’ve made a few toy accessories and used a few other people’s kits from Shapeways, but nothing so radical, but I really liked Mismatch as a character, and looking at a Beast Hunters Bumblebee going for a fiver in a discount shop I couldn’t resist giving it a go; and so my first serious toy customisation project began.